While wandering through the Enchanted Forest at Schaumburg Township library the other day with my boys, I met a woman who is new to the area. She commented that although she moved here from a suburb only about 45 minutes away, she is struck by the “family” friendliness of Schaumburg. As we chatted and I rattled off some great benefits of the library, I realized that there are several free, family friendly activities that make this community such a great place to live. Here are 6 of my favorites:
1. The Schaumburg Township library alone offers countless activities for children and adults alike. The youth area not only has an exceptional collection of books, magazines, and DVD’s, but an extensive offering of board games, puzzles, computer activities, and toys that are free to use onsite with a library card. The countless story times, free crafts, entertainment and movies assure that there is always a variety of activities available when you visit.
2. Across from the Schaumburg Township library is the Town Square, which features an outdoor amphitheater and pavilion where you can enjoy free entertainment, a picnic, a book, or watch the ducks. The adjacent Pande fountain is a nice treat for little ones who need to cool off as the dancing waters spray water from above and below in the summertime.
3. Schaumburg Volkening Heritage farm is also another great freebie. Visit Schaumburg as it was in the 1880’s, a rural farm community, and experience the farmhouse, see the farm animals, and watch the animals being fed.
4. Nearby is Spring Valley Nature Center, another great outdoor sanctuary with walking trails, a living history farm, birdwatching, relaxing, and special events. This is a great place to bring the family for a stroll anytime of the year.
5. If you’re looking for a free cultural experience, try the Summer Concert series, which features a different musical acts throughout selected weekends of the summer.
6. Finally, one of my favorite spots on a rainy or cold day is Woodfield Mall, particularly the Loony Tunes play area, where kids can climb, jump, slide and let out all of their energy for free.
These are just a few of the FREE activities offered in Schaumburg, that makes this a great, family-friendly place to live.